HISTORY OF THE GLASS
The medieval glass in this church, probably some of the finest in
England, can be attributed to the Norwich School and dates from the mid to
the late 15th
By the time that the Church was completed in 1484, all 72 windows were
resplendent with stained glass, but much of it was destroyed during the
reformation in the 16th century. Further damage was suffered at the hands of the Puritans, following the
outbreak of the English Civil War in August 1642.
The survival of the glass seen today can be ascribed to its original
position in the clerestory lights, beyond the reach of the religious
Some of the glass was removed in 1828 and used in the re-glazing of the
east window, whilst the remainder was used in the two west windows in
More changes ensued in the late 1940s, when the medieval glass was moved
to its present site in the first eight windows of the north aisle.